My trip is planned.

General discussion about the James Bay Road and region. Share your experiences and travel tips. Ask questions.

Moderator: admin

Re: My trip is planned.

Postby Buck » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:38 am

I did the Mini convertible on its roof in the snow bank, that had to be quite a ride..and one that I could totally do without.
As for doing the road in the winter, I would love to do it. The road is pretty well maintained and with a good set of winter tires, Nokian Hakka's, I would love to go up there in the winter. The temperature wouldn't be any worse than a Montreal cold snap. But I just don't see when I could manage to plan the adventure.
So a little over a week away, I am mostly ready to go. The only thing I need to do is catch up my sleep over the next week.

Each of my friends thinks I am crazy for going up there. Did you get the same response? They seem to think that there is nothing to see, I don't think they could be further from the truth.
'Not all who wander are lost.' - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Buck

Postby Buck » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:40 am

Route question:

I am still poking around and I saw on maps.google.com that it's way of getting up to Matagami is to not take the 117-11-109 but to take take from the 15 the 113-1055. This looks like a bit of a more remote route, but it still passes through Lebel-sur-Quevillion which could be a fuel stop if needed.

I searched but I didn't come up with much, has anyone done this route instead?
Buck

Postby Bonk » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:51 pm

Yeah, most of our friends still don't understand. For whatever reason, most people would rather somewhere like Florida with 10 million other tourists than somewhere like this to appreciate nature. When we came back I was pretty disappointed that few people I talked to seemed interested in hearing about our experience. I've come to accept that it's their loss.

We came in from Rouyn-Noranda, and according to our map any shortcut would've involved driving at least partially on unpaved roads. The 109 is well-maintained, and I'd guess 111 is as well (I assume you're planning on going up the 111 from Val d'Or). Even if another route looks slightly shorter, I'd bet that would be negated by the road quality.

It's not like traffic's going to slow you down, although Amos is a decent-sized down it'll take a couple of minutes to get through.
"What's the 'C' stand for - selfish?' - unidentified NHL player during a scrap
Bonk

Postby Buck » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:32 pm

I am with you on people missing out. I don't like being crowded with a bunch of other tourists. I think that this is the start of me going off the beaten track for trips. It was just so peaceful. I will be going back next year with a friend who couldn't go this year.

I am going to start a new a thread on this board soon. I have finished my trip, and it was even more than I expected (a couple of hours extra driving as well). Thanks Bonk for all your tips and suggestions. The one thing I didn't take your advice on, the hotel, I sort of lived to regret. I did the usual route up, mostly. I did a little detour at the beginning of the trip to bypass Montreal traffic but the rest was just up the normal way.

I am going to work on my my travelogue, pick my pictures, etc.

Stay tuned...
Buck

Postby Bonk » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:57 pm

Sounds like you had a great time. Glad you got back safe. :)

I can't wait to hear about it -- maybe that'll inspire me to actually post a travelogue as well.
"What's the 'C' stand for - selfish?' - unidentified NHL player during a scrap
Bonk

Postby Buck » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:11 pm

I had a great time. I really liked it up there. Next trip I think I will spend more time in Chisasibi, and less in Radisson. I would love to have the time to do to the Trans Taiga.
I have started to go through the pictures now. I took some bracketed pictures that I am going to try to merge together into some HDR images, I hope at least a couple of them turn out. As to when my travelogue will be done..that is a question.
Buck

Previous

Return to General Discussion