Getting to Nunavut from Fort George

General discussion about the James Bay Road and region. Share your experiences and travel tips. Ask questions.

Moderator: admin

Getting to Nunavut from Fort George

Postby 2wheelsrollin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Hi Folks,

I ride a 650GS bike, ridden in all the provinces and territories except Nunavut. Sure would be nice to add Nunavut. I see there are dirt roads from Fort George QC leading to the Nunavut border/beach. Would anyone familiar with this area know if these roads/trails require any special access permission?

Thanks

2wheelsrollin

Re: Getting to Nunavut from Fort George

Postby Bonk » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:33 pm

That's a really good question -- I honestly didn't know there was anything left of Fort George.

My guess, based solely on having been up there and what I've read other places online, is that it would depend on whether the roads are property of the Cree or part of the Hydro project. If the Cree (Chisasibi) "own" the roads, I'd ask the locals up there for permission and you should be good.

If they're part of the Hydro project you might be boned.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that the water is all part of Nunavut. So if you get the obligatory photo of your bike in the water at the bay, you've accomplished your feat. 8)
"What's the 'C' stand for - selfish?' - unidentified NHL player during a scrap
Bonk

Return to General Discussion