Been wanting to see this area.....

General discussion about the James Bay Road and region. Share your experiences and travel tips. Ask questions.

Moderator: admin

Been wanting to see this area.....

Postby blacktruck » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:48 pm

Hi Folks..
Does anybody know the condition of the JBR? Any recent travelers through the area? I would like to ride a motorcycle up there this year if I'm back soon enough. Any advice or discussion would be good.
blacktruck

Re: Been wanting to see this area.....

Postby Bonk » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:17 am

Hey...there's not much activity on this board these days.

It should still be in fine shape, it's paved all the way up so you should have no problems. Just watch for the diamond (especially triple diamond) markers.

If you don't already visit there, a lot of motorcyclists go to this site for bike-specific info:

http://advrider.com/

I check out a lot of the ride reports there, and several have make the trek up the JBR and the T-T.

But you can average over 60 mph on it, easy, even in a car. The stretch from Amos to Matagami you can really open it up.

I did mid-September and it was perfect -- too late for black flies and too early for snow. I'd highly recommend that time of year, especially on a bike.

Hope you get to ride up there some day!
"What's the 'C' stand for - selfish?' - unidentified NHL player during a scrap
Bonk

Postby blacktruck » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:26 am

Thanks for the reply Bonk.
For many years I've wanted to explore northern Ontario and Quebec. Just can't get into the idea of going where the crowds are. I'm away from home for my work but hope to make it when this project ends. I'm loosely putting together a plan for what type of bike I'll take and how I will do it. Going as far up the TT as possible seems like a good choice to me. Thanks for your input. I've been watching the ADV site for any stories about it and it seems that most want to go to SA or Alaska. Both would be great but I want to do the JBR before those. If you ever want to just tell me what you know about it, I would appreciate it. I'm in Afghanistan so through these stories I get my mind out of here when I can. My opinion but I think too many people are missing the good stuff with places like these and going to where the action is. I won't tell them any different. Thanks again for the reply.
Ride safe man..
blacktruck

Postby Bonk » Tue May 14, 2013 3:13 am

I started a similar thread here for my 2008 trip and got a lot of good information. If you haven't gone through it, here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79

Any idea at this point if you're going to be able to go this year?
"What's the 'C' stand for - selfish?' - unidentified NHL player during a scrap
Bonk

Postby blacktruck » Thu May 16, 2013 9:52 am

I wish I could tell you how much I want to go this year. I won't be back in the US until probably November so it won't be this year. I would like to try for as early a date next year as is feasible. Not sure yet what bike to take. Either a DS or my Sport Touring. I would like to go as far as possible. Crazy idea but I love the area up there. I'll check the link you posted. I have probably seen it but this stuff is great to read more than a few times.
Thanks for the reply here. Not much activity but I would suspect the economy in both countries and other uncertainties aren't helping.
Be safe man....Thanks again....
blacktruck

Return to General Discussion