James (and Hudson) Bay--Arctic or Atlantic?

General discussion about the James Bay Road and region. Share your experiences and travel tips. Ask questions.

Moderator: admin

James (and Hudson) Bay--Arctic or Atlantic?

Postby Andrew Kirschner » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:33 am

I'm noone's oceanographer, and I have no clear idea how one defines an ocean as distinct from other oceans (since ultimately, it's all one continuous ocean), or how to decide which ocean the smaller tidal saltwater bodies are included in.

In some cases this is obvious enough. The Mediteranean Sea can only be the Atlantic. The Red Sea can only be part of the Indian Ocean. More locally (for a New Yorker like me) Long Island Sound is obviously part of the Atlantic Ocean. But now, what about this James Bay and Hudson Bay (whose sheer size, by the way, make the word "bay" seem to be misnomers--this seems much more like a sea, but that's another story.)

The mouth of Hudson Bay is much closer to the open Atlantic Ocean (a few hundred km via Hudson Strait) than any part of the open Arctic Ocean, a long jaunt through Foxe Channel and Fury and Hecla Strait, certainly well over a thousand km.

Then again, it does cut into the north coast of the continent (albeit with many islands and vast ammounts of land before the ocean). And it certainly is part of the Arctic region, at least culturally.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
--Andrew
Andrew Kirschner

Re: James (and Hudson) Bay--Arctic or Atlantic?

Postby gmrider » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:30 pm

Andrew,

I just realized that I am replying to a post you made nearly two years ago...oh well.

Anyway, as far as I know both James Bay and Hudson Bay are considered part of the Arctic Ocean, not the Atlantic.

I am headed up there myself (with my brother and another friend) in three days (the reason I am on here right now)!!! I will be riding a Honda CBR1100XX with my friend riding a Yamaha FZ1 and my brother on a GSXR1000. It should be an adventure. We have scheduled 5 days round trip from Vermont so there will be some long days.

C. Adams
gmrider

Re: James (and Hudson) Bay--Arctic or Atlantic?

Postby Bonk » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:25 pm

I'd love to hear all about your trip when you get back. Please post the details after your return.
"What's the 'C' stand for - selfish?' - unidentified NHL player during a scrap
Bonk

Return to General Discussion