James Bay Road on Motorcycle

General discussion about the James Bay Road and region. Share your experiences and travel tips. Ask questions.

Moderator: admin

James Bay Road on Motorcycle

Postby riptorn » Sun May 14, 2006 12:46 pm

Has anyone tried doing this trip on a motorcycle? I am thinking of doing it with a chase vehicle (to carry fuel and a trailer just in case).

Nathan...
riptorn

Postby admin » Sun May 14, 2006 10:22 pm

I've seen lots of motorcycles on the James Bay Road. One guy I met and talked to had a spare can of gas to get him through the longest service-free stretch.
admin
Site Admin

James Bay Road on motorcycle

Postby 762X39 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:00 am

A friend of mine is making the trip in July. He has a KLR650. I obtained a half size (10 litres) jerry can for him last year to extend his range. For safety he will be using a Magellan gps with colour display (easier to view on a motor bike) and a personal locator beacon in case of emergency. He has made many trips on his bike in the past as well as excursions when he drove a Series Land Rover.
As long as you carry basic spare parts, have a bike in top mechanical repair and the ability to problem solve, the trip can be done solo. Just watch your fuel level and road conditions. Are the GPS coordinates for the fuel stops posted anywhere? If they are you could enter them as a waypoint. Satellite phones are also quite reasonable to rent and they are not very large. Finally, don't overload your bike with uneeded kit.

Regards
John H
Director OF4WD
1970 Mercedes Unimog

I may be slow but I am big, green and ugly
762X39

james bay road by motorcyce

Postby gwelfmike » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:33 pm

I am planning a trip on the James Bay Road on my Yamaha FJR1300, leaving Quebec City on Aug. 14. Where can I rent a Sat. phone, is there anywhere in Matagami?
gwelfmike

Re: James Bay Road on Motorcycle

Postby Canadian FJR » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:26 pm

I'll ask the same question, where can I borrow/rent a sat. phone?

Canadian FJR
Canadian FJR

Postby admin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:27 pm

Probably not in Matagami. It's a pretty small place.
I would try in a large city, such as Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa.
But I have no actual idea where one would go about renting a satellite phone. Seems like the type of thing you'd find in a larger place.
admin
Site Admin

Postby jdmetzger » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:23 pm

If you do a lot of "adventure riding" or riding solo (and especially if you have family who worry) you might want to check out a SPOT satellite messenger. You can send "OK" messages that will include a link to where you're at on google maps, "help" messages (sent to a specific list of people you configure) and then "911" if something really bad happens. I didn't have one when I went up there (it was before they came out), but I carry one now. Good for giving peace of mind to the family and it means you don't have to go looking for a phone to "check in". Sat phones and collect calls can be expensive. :)

http://www.findmespot.com is their website. I have no financial interest - just a happy customer.
Josh Metzger
Toledo, OH
jdmetzger

Postby Canadian FJR » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:15 am

Thanks for your thoughts on the SPOT, I agree. I got one for Christmas.

Canadian FJR
Canadian FJR

Return to General Discussion