Camping near Anglier

General discussion about the James Bay Road and region. Share your experiences and travel tips. Ask questions.

Moderator: admin

Camping near Anglier

Postby Jeff_Tatterson » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:27 pm

While not on the James Bay Road per se it is on the way there, but are there any campgrounds near Anglier or in the general vicinity?
Jeff_Tatterson

Re: Camping near Anglier

Postby njam101 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:03 am

Do you mean Angliers, which is a bit south of Rouyn-Noranda??
njam101

Postby Jeff_Tatterson » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:12 pm

Oui! What is the correct pronunciation by the way?
Thanks,
Jeff.
Jeff_Tatterson

Postby jdmetzger » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:22 pm

I can't help you on the pronunciation. As for camping, when I went up that way last year I used google to find places to camp. For example, I was planning on camping near Malartic, QC. My plans changed and I didn't end up staying there, but I just typed in "Malartic, QC camping" into google and found a great place to stay. Google maps will show you on the map exactly where each place is. By typing "Angliers, QC camping" I got this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=angliers,+qc+camping&ie=UTF8&z=8.

Sorry if you didn't need the search engine help; but this is how I did it. If you're looking for specific recommendations, that might be harder to find...

Good luck, and enjoy the trip!
jdmetzger

Postby njam101 » Sat May 03, 2008 12:20 pm

Whenever my wife and I go camping in Quebec we often pick up a "Camping Québec" guide at a tourist info office. I highly recommend it. You can see the full guide online at http://www.campingquebec.com and both the magazine and website are bilingual.
Click on English if need be, then on Camping Guide and then choose the region such as Abitibi-Témiscamingue or Baie-James. It's really nice because you can see the campground's rating, rates, facilities, etc. Most of the campgrounds have links directly to their own website as well.

I've never camped near Angliers and I don't know about any campgrounds there but there are a lot of lakes in the area. Nearby I do know there is one on Lake Opasatica in Montbeillard http://www.campingclindoeil.qc.ca and the website is bilingual.

Angliers is pronounced ON-GLEE-EH

Malartic is pronounced MAL-ARE-TIQUE (MAL rhymes with PAL)
njam101

Postby njam101 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:03 am

There is a campground called La Bannik http://www.bannik.ca along Highway 101 in Quebec on Lake Temiskaming. (lac Temiscamingue in French) It's in the municipality of Duhamel-Ouest which is pretty close to Ville-Marie. I haven't been there myself but I've heard good things about it.
njam101

Postby Jeff_Tatterson » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:06 pm

Thank you for the information. We were diverted around a section of 101 during our trip and as a result we saw a lot of countryside that would have been missed. Angliers was about the prettiest place I've seen. I don't think I'll be able to have enough time to make another trip up to the Bay but, I might be able to go as far as Rouyn-Noranda. And on the way there I ceratinly wouldn't mind spending a couple of days paddling around the lake there. This time of year you just can't resist planning new 'expeditions' and the James Bay trip still remains my favorite. I keep working on my high school French just in case I get to go again.
Jeff_Tatterson

Return to General Discussion