What speed is recommended on the JBR?

General discussion about the James Bay Road and region. Share your experiences and travel tips. Ask questions.

Moderator: admin

What speed is recommended on the JBR?

Postby Bonk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:38 am

So we're 6 1/2 weeks away from the big trip, and we're trying to budget our time. I've heard the JBR is well-built, I've heard it has issues, and I'm wondering how fast I can expect to drive with a mid-sized car.

With zero traffic and from what I've heard here, can I expect to average 110 km/h? Obviously, we'll be making several stops, including the Rupert River. Am I being too optimistic, about right, or should I expect to drive faster than a 110 km pace?

And yeah, I've heard the three-diamond curve is a doozy. We've noted that and I WILL slow down. :D
"What's the 'C' stand for - selfish?' - unidentified NHL player during a scrap
Bonk

Re: What speed is recommended on the JBR?

Postby chasindaylight » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:33 pm

Hey, Bonk.
Three of us were just up there on motorcycles in early July. The southern section is the worst - we were runnin' 100 km /hr. We were not in a rush and I was "preserving tires" for a run down Transtaiga rd. I'm not sure if your camping but there is a great campsite at km 37 N. of Matagami. Nice sites, clean washrooms & showers and a lake.
Have a great trip,Terry
chasindaylight

Postby jdmetzger » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:38 am

I found it suitably rough on my motorcycle last year. I ran pretty fast - too fast, actually. I cracked one of my saddlebag latches, and things were NOT overloaded. I guess I tried to run 120km/h (with bits around 130) but I was backing down a lot as the bumps would come. I enjoyed the 3-diamond curve, myself... :D

I will also second the camping suggestion for Matagami Lake campground. Very well kept place.
jdmetzger

Postby Rally_T-115 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:53 pm

When I went up in May 2007 I found the best cruise control speed in my Grand Vitara was 110km/h. I tried 120km/h for a while and found I had to brake for curves too much. 110km/h was much better I could leave the cruise control alone through the curves and concentrate more on reading the road ahead for signs of bumps and heaves - waves in the pavement or watch for dark spots in the middle of the lane where oil drips are shaken off.

Here's a pic of the beast - in winter Road Rally mode:
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x203 ... VRally.jpg
yeah that's me...

Those lights are going to be real nice next time I go up. Coming back down the last 100 or so kilometres of the JBR in pitch darkness 120km/h with just the stock high beams - aimed too low - both of us scanning the sides of the road as hard as we can, dashboard lights turned all the way down, we were so glad when we saw the km 6 checkpoint! Now they're ALL aimed properly!

James
Rally_T-115

Postby Bonk » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:45 pm

Thanks everyone. Fortunately, we've timed it so we'll be driving it entirely in daylight. We're going to leave Rouyn-Noranda at about 6:30 and it looks like we'll make the ocean by 5:30 or 6 p.m. Lots of driving that day.

Oh yeah, and JD, we are staying at the Auberge despite your horrific experience. I think we'll call them before we leave and make sure our reservation is still in their system.
Bonk

Postby jdmetzger » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:40 pm

Bonk wrote:Oh yeah, and JD, we are staying at the Auberge despite your horrific experience. I think we'll call them before we leave and make sure our reservation is still in their system.

You having a problem would have to be like lightning striking twice in the same spot. I know a number of people stay there without the problems I've had (and surprisingly several other stories like mine) - hope you have an enjoyable stay! Tell them the rider in the high-viz yellow/green jacket who didn't get a room last year says "hi". :mrgreen: And if you get a chance, the same to the dark haired girl wearing glasses working at the restaurant across the street. :wink:
jdmetzger

Postby Bonk » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:03 pm

OK, will do. Thanks for all the help.

I wonder how late can one get a beer in Radisson?

We're stopping at House of Meats (Talmadge Rd.) and the Del Taco (Secor Rd.) in Toledo on the way back next Saturday.
Bonk

Postby jdmetzger » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:19 am

Bonk wrote:OK, will do. Thanks for all the help.

I wonder how late can one get a beer in Radisson?

We're stopping at House of Meats (Talmadge Rd.) and the Del Taco (Secor Rd.) in Toledo on the way back next Saturday.

The Del Taco is all of 2-5 minutes from my house (traffic and stoplight dependent). I still haven't gone in there, strangely enough. I'm assuming the "House of Meats" in the Andersons; which I visit once a week. They also have a fantastic beer selection in there.

I had a beer in Radisson around 9pm and it looked like the bar would be open most of the night, although there weren't many people in there - the bartender was out playing pool with some of the locals.

There is a "contact" button on my website http://www.jdmetzger.com - feel free to drop me a line!
Josh Metzger
Toledo, OH
jdmetzger

Postby njam101 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:58 am

I went up in a car. Drove between 100 and 110 km/h but that was under perfect conditions. (no rain and in summer) The speed limit is 100 and is reasonable. This is not a highway to speed on in my opinion. You can pick up speed in certain sections. For a highway this far North it is in very good shape. Frost melting and re-freezing has taking its toll on some sections of the road but this is to be expected.

As for bars...There are two that I remember seeing. One in the Hydro Complex building (I think it was called Bar 76 or something like that) and the other "Bar Boreal" on the main drag. I went to the Boreal and had a couple of draft beers...either Coors Light or Bud Light. Most bars in Quebec are open until 3am and I think I remember the bartender saying that they usually stay open until that time unless they have no customers which doesn't happen much in the summer. Many people come from Chisasibi to drink as the First Nation does not allow the sale of alcohol.
njam101

Postby vince » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Does anyone know why Google gives the distance from Matagami to Radisson as 599 (600) Km and yet estimates the driving time to be 14:59...almost 15 hours? That is an average speed of 40 km/hr!!

They also give the distance from Amos to Matagami as 183 km......and a time of 4:37. This, again, is a speed of around 40 km/hr.

Compare these Google distances and speeds for the run from Chapleau to Amos: distance 528 km and a time of 7:32. Average speed of about 70 km/hr

What gives with Google?

vok
vince

Postby Canadian FJR » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:08 pm

I'm assuming 620 km........6 hours. Based on info from the locals.

Canadian FJR
Canadian FJR

Postby Bonk » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:22 pm

[quote="vince"]Does anyone know why Google gives the distance from Matagami to Radisson as 599 (600) Km and yet estimates the driving time to be 14:59...almost 15 hours? That is an average speed of 40 km/hr!!

They also give the distance from Amos to Matagami as 183 km......and a time of 4:37. This, again, is a speed of around 40 km/hr.

Compare these Google distances and speeds for the run from Chapleau to Amos: distance 528 km and a time of 7:32. Average speed of about 70 km/hr

What gives with Google?

vok[/quote]

That's pretty funny.

Like the site says, civilization completely disappears a little north of Amos on 109. No lights, no traffic, straight roads. I did 130 km/h for much of the that stretch.

JBR is a little slower, but you can still average 105-110 km/h.
Bonk

Postby vince » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Bonk (and others): Many thanks for the info. I just could not envision 15 hours on JBR; nothing would compute yet Google insisted on that time/distance. I MUST get up that way before the Rupert diversion takes effect. Plans are to take off from southern Michigan in late June just in time to collect bugs in my scalp! Running a 4 year old Honda S2000 with about 20K on it. I've been reading Muma's material every since he posted his first trip. Again, thanks for the speed. vok
vince

Postby Bonk » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:30 pm

Maybe they're talking about driving time in the winter. 40 km/h doesn't seem out of line then...

You'll be fine with a Honda. We rented a Ford Focus and had no problems at all.

Good luck with the black flies and mosquitos. We went in September to avoid both and were successful.
Bonk

Postby vince » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:30 pm

Bonk: I had never thought that the time entry might have been related to winter driving! That would make good sense.

My June or July schedule is tentatively set as:

Depart Arrive Time on road Distance (in miles) Accomodations

Grand Blanc, MI Lovells, MI 3:00 152 Family (leave after work)
Lovells, MI Chapleau ON 7:24 341 Aux Trois Moulin
Chapleau, ON Amos, QC 7:32 316 Hotel des Eskers
Amos, QC Radisson, QC 8:00+ 470 ?

This route is about 150 miles longer than that recommended by Google. But it should be more scenic and it avoids going thru Toronto!
The Honda S2000 is a two -seat sports car of 250 hp that I use only in the summer. It is a joy to drive on two lane roads. We have used it on trips to PEI and also to Lac Ste Jean.

Is this schedule realistic?

V
vince

Next

Return to General Discussion