is this board dead

Discussion specifically about the Trans-Taiga Road. Share your experiences and tips. Ask questions.

Moderator: admin

is this board dead

Postby the vicar » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:28 am

what's up? anyone out there?
the vicar

Re: is this board dead

Postby Buck » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:19 pm

I hope it isn't dead. I have been waiting for someone to post another travelogue or something.

-Buck
'Not all who wander are lost.' - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Buck

Postby Bonk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:53 pm

I still check back on a regular basis, but it's not like there's much to add without taking another trip up the JBR.

I wonder if the interest in the roads has waned because of the Rupert diversion.

One of these days I'll organize more pictures and post them somewhere...when I do I'll post the link here.
"What's the 'C' stand for - selfish?' - unidentified NHL player during a scrap
Bonk

Postby Buck » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm still working on my trip report, I'll finish it at some point.

I did send in a picture of my truck wading into The Bay to Truck Trends magazine and it got published as a Reader's Ride.

I would love to back for another visit. I just need some more vacation time and a co-pilot or something of the like.
Buck

Postby Bonk » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:13 am

Skip forward a year and a half...

I wonder how much impact the economy is having on travel in this region, and ultimately trickling down to interest in this message board.

Personally, the current U.S. economy is destroying me, and while I originally hoped after my trip there in Sept. 2008 to return within 5-7 years, I can't see that happening.

Lots of people that visit this site (and the advrider site where many reports are posted) seem to be middle class, and I wonder how many people who would've otherwise considered this venture are now unable due to lack of funds.

Going to Chisasibi was life altering for me. This site was a major inspiration for my trip, so I'll always be indebted to Walter for creating it. I wish many others felt the same way and would post here, but that isn't currently happening. It doesn't take anything away from our experience.
Bonk

Postby Buck » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:00 am

I think economy for the US visitors has something to do with the lower interest for sure. On Expedition Portal there was one trip to the Gaspe written up, but that's it.

I am disappointed in the lack of action on this board since it is just a great resource for people planning a trip. My lack of trips isn't so much a cash thing as I am starting in Montreal, it is more a limited vacation time thing. My vacations are all planned out for 2012 but in 2013 I am planning to make a another run back up and hopefully go far on the Trans-Taiga as well. But that is so far into the future who knows what will happen to derail my plans.

Another funny thing about the timing of your message is yesterday we finally got around to framing some of our pictures from that trip.
Buck

Postby blacktruck » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:18 pm

I hope it isn't. I just found this site very recently. I'm hoping to learn more about this fantastic area and make a trip of my own when I'm back to the US. Pllease pst what you know about this place...
Thanks all....
blacktruck

Postby klondike1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:37 am

Not dead but very quiet. I check in now and again. It is a wealth of info. I used it when i rode the TT
klondike1

Postby Buck » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:14 am

Very little action on this board. I used it to plan out my 2009 trip.
Buck

Postby Bonk » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:27 am

Yep, this is a huge asset for planning a trip up.

It's just that if you've been and aren't planning to go back any time soon, there's not much else to add here.

I would love to go back and might consider returning in five years or so. Gotta see Alberta and B.C. first. :lol:

I'm actually the all-time post leader with 61 in seven years. So that tells you how active this forum is.
Bonk

Postby blacktruck » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:50 am

Gotta say I am a bit surprised but not shocked. The last few years have been pretty rough on most everybody in one form or another and this is most likely not a hot spot for vacations if they got any at all. The lure of the north country for me is far stronger than going south. For the past decade or so I've spent a lot of time in parts of the world that have been raped by the people in power and also around people who in many cases really don't like us and would bring destruction or death if they could. Quiet seems better. It's on my list as soon as I can. What's the consensus? Ride alone or a couple of bikes?
I hope all are well and about to get the scooters back out.
Ride safe folks..
blacktruck

Postby Bonk » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:18 pm

Well, if you like or would appreciate remoteness -- and it sounds like you could use that -- there's no better place I've ever seen.

I think Walter said this someone in one of his ride reports, but you don't realize how strange it is to be in a place where there's no background noise. At all.

Even in "rural" U.S. areas, there's still power lines or planes or something making noise.

On the JBR, you get out of the car and you hear nothing except nature. You can hear a vehicle coming from miles away.

The people on ADV Rider are saying the better route into Chisasibi is to take the cutoff halfway down the Chisasibi Rd. and ride parallel to the road north. We did the route Walter recommended on here and it was fine, but the consensus on that site is their route is better. Something to think about.
Bonk

Postby blacktruck » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Bonk wrote:Skip forward a year and a half...

I wonder how much impact the economy is having on travel in this region, and ultimately trickling down to interest in this message board.

Personally, the current U.S. economy is destroying me, and while I originally hoped after my trip there in Sept. 2008 to return within 5-7 years, I can't see that happening.

Lots of people that visit this site (and the advrider site where many reports are posted) seem to be middle class, and I wonder how many people who would've otherwise considered this venture are now unable due to lack of funds.

Going to Chisasibi was life altering for me. This site was a major inspiration for my trip, so I'll always be indebted to Walter for creating it. I wish many others felt the same way and would post here, but that isn't currently happening. It doesn't take anything away from our experience.

I think your first sentence is correct. Without getting into a political rant, our economy is stagnant. I think it has affected way more aspects than people realize. I'm still hoping to go there soon and see the same thing you mentioned here "Going to Chisasibi was life altering for me". Maybe that's the allure of it. I'm looking for something after being away in countries that suck for too long. I'm looking for that peace and unspoiled beauty that isn't here. Maybe it's there and maybe not but I need to ride up and find out.
blacktruck

Postby blacktruck » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:31 am

Back again after a brief hiatus.
I finally closed the operation we had in Afghanistan and have returned home to the US. Sadly I come back to a country that is in many ways in just as bad of shape as the one I left. Many different problems but many surprisingly the same. One of the things I am still looking for is the solitude and unspoiled beauty of the land around the JBR. Maybe just a dream but I'm going to go up to find out. I have looked through all the relevant and pertinent threads that I have seen on here. Sad that more people don't use this forum. Seems to be a wealth of info. Too much is probably outdated but still better than none. Getting to close to Christmas and I'm back for the first one in five years. It will be nice to spend it at home with friends and family. I hope all have a great Christmas Season.
Stay safe and post what you know here. You just never know who might read it.
Ken
blacktruck

Return to Trans-Taiga Road