Motorcycle riding Transtaiga road

Discussion specifically about the Trans-Taiga Road. Share your experiences and tips. Ask questions.

Moderator: admin

Re: Motorcycle riding Transtaiga road

Postby chasindaylight » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:49 pm

Hey Nick,

Great to hear from you. I apologize for my slow reponse. I have had server problems. We had eight M/C riders camped at the Rupert river campground. I think I mentioned to you we there to see the mighty Rupert one last time before it gets diverted. The Vicar, the Hippee and I rode into Waskaganish for breakfast on the way home. 102 km of gravel in. It was very dusty but there was a decent track. Lots of ruts and washboard though. There was a nasty lookin' storm moving in so we decided to "run for the sun". One note for travelers on the James Bay Road, There is a new gas station being built at the intersection of Waskaganish and theJBR. I believe it is being built and owned by the Cree Nation. The workers on the site said it woud be open for bussiness in July 09.

Regarding future travels, I'm planning on heading up to the Yukon next summer and ride the North Canol road as far as I can -hopefully into the NWT.

Terry.
chasindaylight

Postby guzzinick » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:49 pm

Terry,
Thanks for the reply. I hope your plans for the Yukon / NWT come together. The Canol Road looks like a mighty scenic adventure.

Inspired by the Vicar (and so I can take my GSD), I have put my Sputnik chair back on my 72 Guzzi, intending to take a look at the Trans Labrador highway later this summer or early fall. My current tyres are getting a bit bald (the Vicar didn't like the look of the tyres on my BMW K100 - even though I thought they still had lots of life!) and I want to replace them with something more 'dual-sporty' than the touring tyres (Bridgestone Spitfires) I have been running. Any thoughts? If you are in contact with the Vicar (Vicar - are you out there?) please pass on my query.

The tyres on your GS looked sexy, but I may be a bit limited by the somewhat archaic wheel size on the old Eldo (4x18, front and rear), but that's the kind of thing I'm looking for.

The Rupert River rapids were most impressive. I'm really glad I saw them before Hydro Quebec turns off the tap. It was sad to see what a dismal trickle now flows down the Eastmain - it was easy to see that the river channel was created by a much more formidable flow than now piddles through it - and to know that the same fate is imminent for the Rupert.

All the best

Nick
guzzinick

Postby footloose » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:08 pm

Hey Terry...enjoyed reading about your trip after we chatted about it a few weeks ago. We just got home from riding some twisty roads in S/E Ohio and I think I'll do a run up to Tobermory this weekend.
Now what was the name of that local gravel road you told me about again? The one you thought Doug wouldn't mind doing?

Anne-Marie
footloose

Postby guzzinick » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:30 pm

Terry,
We crossed paths briefly in Amos (I think it was)(BMW K100) and briefly corresponded on this forum. I just re-read your Trans-Taiga journal as I am thinking of heading up that way this summer on my Guzzi Eldorado. If you check in to ADV you may have stumbled across my trip report on the Trans-Lab from this year
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718205.

I've replaced the u-joint since then, so she should be in fine fettle for some more gravel.

I trust you are well and enjoying some spring riding.

Nick

web adamsheritage.info
guzzinick

Postby Bonk » Fri May 04, 2012 3:15 am

Nick --

Just read your ride report on advrider. Very cool stuff, and that looks like an amazing region!

Thanks for sharing your adventures -- I'd like to visit that area some day.

I can't vouch for the Trans-Taiga, but the James Bay Road trip is one I highly recommend (if for no other reason the trip from Amos to Matagami must be a biker's dream -- I had enough fun on that in a vehicle).
"What's the 'C' stand for - selfish?' - unidentified NHL player during a scrap
Bonk

Postby blacktruck » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:16 am

Let's see if I can get this important little bit of info. I can run about 200 miles between fuel stops. Does a person need to carry more to make it to the end and hopefully back? Are there fuel points along the way? I'm not adverse to carrying a wee bag of extra fuel if the need is there.
blacktruck

Postby chasindaylight » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:33 pm

Hey blacktruck,

For accurate information on fuel stops on the TTR,go back to the home page and click on Trans-Taiga road. Scroll down to "Detailed travel guide". It will tell you all you need to know. Keep in mind a couple of things. 1) your closest fuel to the start of the TTR is Radisson. That's 76km (47mi). 2) Things may have changed since I was up there,but Nouchimi outfitters at km 286 ( 177mi) was not open. Your next fuel stop is Mirage outfitters at km 358 (222mi). If I was travelling up there again I would definately have enough fuel to go from Radisson to Mirage outfitters. Add it up....thats 434km (269 mi)

Hope this helps, Terry.
chasindaylight

Postby chasindaylight » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:50 pm

Hello again blacktruck,

I've been thinkin'.....

If you fuel at Mirage oufitters and ride to the end at km 666 (413mi) and back to Mirage,by my calculations thats 616km (382mi).

Terry
chasindaylight

Postby blacktruck » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:48 am

Just checking to see who is reading here. Sitting at my desk in 6 F weather and thinking about a trip up to there still. Anybody else up to talk about it. Looking more like my trip will be on the Norge. Planning a time frame around work and life in general so I'm subject to change and open to suggestion of what is good.
Anyway, ramblings here from a desk bound rider looking out the window.
Stay safe all.
blacktruck

Previous

Return to Trans-Taiga Road